A Few Key Places to Visit
- Belize Zoo – One of the most popular attractions in Belize City is its zoo.
- Hol Chan Marine Reserve – Hol Chan is probably the most well-known marine reserve in the country and is located close to Ambergris Caye.
- Altun Ha – Head to the Mayan site of Altun Ha to experience its well preserved ruins. The main attraction of the site is the Temple of the Masonry Altars, dating from the 7th Century.
- The Cayes – There are hundreds of small islands off the coast, many of them picture perfect and uninhabited. Two of the most visited cayes are Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. Ambergris is the largest of the Belizean cayes and the most expensive tourist destination in the country, popular with families on resort style holidays.
- Caracol – Caracol is the largest Mayan site and was once one of the most powerful cities in Mayan times.
- Explore the Caves – Aside from Actun Tunichil Maknal, other cave systems are also great for exploring. In ancient times caves were considered the entrance to the Mayan underworld of Xibalbá, the dwelling place of the Gods. As a result many of the caves contain relics from Mayan sacrifices and ceremonies.
- The Barrier Reef – The barrier reef consists of a 186 mile long stretch of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System, and is the second largest barrier reef in the world.
- St. Johns Cathedral – This cathedral is the oldest Anglican Church in South America. Built from red bricks that were brought aboard English sailing ships in the 1800s.